Friday, February 27, 2015

Use Imply And Infer Correctly

Definite grammatical and discussion usage errors creep into our Day-to-day speech and writing to the amount that they change into skilled Exceedingly body politic. But, careful writers and speakers get to diffenrentiate equitable usage to avoid misunderstanding and to maintain the rules of the talking.


Instructions


1. Think of examples like this: I say to my friend, "I am surprised you could afford such an expensive car." I am implying that he must be making more money than I thought. However, he could incorrectly infer that I am suggesting he has done something criminal.3.


Remember this easy rule: "imply" rhymes with "I." Therefore, "I imply" but "you infer." The writer or speaker uses the words that imply something. The reader or listener assumes a meaning from the words he reads or hears, or from actions take someone else takes. "Imply" means to suggest or to hint, without specifically stating the point. "Infer" means to arrive a conclusion from what someone writes, says or does.2.


Write out a list of examples for both "imply" and "infer." Have a friend quiz you to see if you can choose the correct word in each example.